Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Beginning with the End

I remember what it was like to look around at the faces of the other new graduate nurses on the stage with me, and the faces of those in the audience while my friend read a column I had written for a nursing magazine. I tried so hard to be impressed with myself and my great accomplishment of graduating from nursing school, but I just really couldn't do it. And I wasn't impressed with my success as a writer, either, but so happy to be able to hear my words and watch people listening to them. After the ceremony, I posed for pictures with my classmates, knowing that I would probably never see some of them again. It was poignant. I never made a point of bondng with anyone especially, but it is very difficult not to become attached to people you spend so much time with for over a year, no summer breaks. I was impressed with each woman and her story. One had a baby during school and I just don't know how she did it all. Nursing school is very difficult anyway, and when you think of giving birth to your first child in addition to all the studying and clinical hours, it boggles the mind. Another classmate was raising five children, one of whom was quite small, plus still working as a pharmacist. All are wonderful role models for anyone who needs someone to look up to, and I feel very lucky to know each one. The title of this entry comes from the fact that graduation is the end of sschool, but the beginning of something else. I don't know what it will be. I'm eager to discover it.

No comments:

Post a Comment