Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Change of Plans

It was my intention to chronicle my first year working as a nurse. I thought it would be interesting to nursing students to read about another nurse's experience. However, and this is a huge however, I passed the NCLEX a month ago and I have had only one interview, no job offers. So, instead of waiting around to start writing, I decided to chronicle my job search. I have sent numerous applications and resumes out into cyberspace and have come to the conclusion that this is a massive waste of time, except for one, which was for a designated graduate nurse position with a hospital. If chosen for an interview with this hospital, I will have to schlep around collecting letters of recommendation and copies of my school transcripts. If hired, I would start work in January. It is now October! There are so many reasons why I hope I already have a job by then! My one interview so far was with a nursing home, which is where I think I really want to work. Tomorrow will be a week since my interview, and I'm not holding out much hope. My suspicion is that my age is a factor. I am 52 and will be 53 in January. No one can tell me this because it is illegal to discriminate because of age, but I am sure it is true. I am considering deleting my B.A. from my resume since it dates me. Today I will fill out two more applications for nursing homes. Next week I will begin volunteering with the school nurse at my son's school. I don't need to waste any more time. And perhaps I can count volunteering as experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment